We are known for our short-term crisis shelter, but we are also active in the community with our educational programs that strive to build awareness about issues related to family abuse.
Family Abuse Awareness (PDF) – click here for stats, info. on what we do, who we serve and why they don’t just leave.
Our programs are free of charge due to funding from the Government of Alberta (Human Services), Calgary & Area Child and Family Services, community partners and generous private donors.
- Residential Program – The Strathmore Shelter is where families or individuals can rest, reflect and plan for making safe and healthy choices. It is a 25-bed, short-term shelter that offers shelter, food, crisis counselling, life skills training, child care, referral and support services. We are also one of the few shelters that welcome male victims of abuse.
- Child and Youth Care Program – While at the shelter, our Child and Youth Care professionals support parents to address the physical and emotional needs of the family, while supplying a safe place for children and youth to express themselves freely and have fun.
- Public Education – this program increases awareness and reduces tolerance of violence and abuse in the community. We offer workshops and presentations about self-esteem, healthy relationships, anti-bullying and more to schools, service clubs, community groups, agencies and faith communities.
- Early Intervention – this program provides counseling support and tools to establish healthy relationships for children and their parents who have witnessed and/or experienced family abuse. Personal safety plans are completed and information is available on topics such as parenting, self-esteem and expressing emotions.
- Outreach – this program provides information, referral and support services to individuals and families. These services are provided within an office setting or over the phone.
- Family Abuse Prevention – families experiencing abuse may not reach out for services offered by the Society. As such, a comprehensive ‘wrap around’ service ensures community partners work together to address a family’s need for safety, security and support.