Early Intervention Program
In order to continue to offer services to children in shelter we are using a new program model that focuses on group work with children with a primary focus on safety planning and healthy attachment between parents and children.
Highlights of this program include:
- Working with parents on comprehensive children’s safety plans.
- Crisis support through groups and individual supportive counselling with the parent, and parent coaching.
- The Family Residential Early Intervention Worker provides parents with tools to understand the effects of trauma and domestic conflict on child development with a strong focus on ACE’s.
- Encouragement of parents through role modeling and providing resources and warm referrals for ongoing community supports and congruency in care.
- This is an integrative role between the residential program and the child & youth program with a purpose of creating a wraparound support to families. The worker liaises between programs to ensure all family needs are being addressed.
Children’s Outreach Program
WCS is pleased to offer expanded services to children and adolescents. It is our core belief that often the biggest victims of domestic abuse are the smallest in the family. This program provides longer term outreach support to children and adolescents experiencing a variety of difficulties including: Grief and loss, separation and divorce, anxiety, depression, ADHD/ADD and other school adjustment issues.
Who can access this program?
Children and adolescents who have been exposed to family violence and abuse are given priority, but the program supports children experiencing a variety of difficulties. Self referrals are welcome. Contact 403-934-6634 for more information.