WCS in partnership with R.C.M.P, Crown, Victims Services and Child & Family Services have established the family violence prevention project. The Family Violence Prevention Project works to support victims in incidents where domestic violence related charges have been laid and the case is entering into the justice system. The project is designed to ensure collaboration among Child and Family Services, Crown Prosecutor’s office, RCMP and defense counsel to support victims through the criminal court process by:
- Helping victims understand what will happen in court and providing court updates.
- Ensuring victims’ wishes are forwarded to the court for consideration.
- Developing effective safety planning that are individualized and responsive to identified risk.
- Establishing community support systems to support the families unique needs.
- Following-up with victims until probation orders end and clients’ safety is optimized.
Who can access: Anyone who is involved with this the justice system as a result of domestic violence living in Wheatland County and some surrounding areas
How to access: Referral required by R.C.M.P, Crown, Victims Service Unit or Child & Family Services
c/o Strathmore RCMP
500 Westlake Rd.,
Strathmore, AB T1P 1M7
Wanda McGinnis, BA, BSW, RSW
Family Violence Prevention Coordinator