We are known for our short-term crisis or family abuse shelter, but we are also active in the community with our educational programs that strive to build awareness about issues related to family abuse.
WCS 2019 Report to the Community– click here for stats and information on what we do, who we serve and why they don’t just leave.
Our programs are free of charge due to funding from the Government of Alberta (Human Services), Calgary & Area Child and Family Services, community partners and generous private donors.
- Emergency Shelter Program – The Strathmore Shelter is where families or individuals can rest, reflect and plan for making safe and healthy choices. It is a 25-bed, short-term shelter that offers shelter, food, crisis counselling, life skills training, child care, referral and support services. We are also one of the few shelters that welcome all individuals experiencing abuse regardless of gender identity or gender expression. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals who identify as male, gender fluid, non-binary or female.
- Shelter & Services for All People – WCS recognizes that abuse impacts all people. All WCS programs support individuals and families as they come to us including but not limited to, multi generational families, males, gender fluid, non-binary and female clients.
- Outreach & Court Support–This program provides supportive counselling, information, court support, referral and other support services to individuals. These services are provided within an office setting or over the phone.
- Children’s Outreach Program – This program provides longer term outreach support to children and adolescents experiencing a variety of difficulties including: experiencing or exposure to domestic violence or family abuse, grief and loss, separation and divorce, anxiety, depression, ADHD/ADD and other school adjustment issues.
- Child and Youth Care Program – While at the shelter, our Child and Youth Care professionals support parents to address the physical and emotional needs of the family, while supplying a safe place for children and youth to express themselves freely and have fun.
- Public Education – This program increases awareness and reduces tolerance of violence and abuse in the community. We offer workshops and presentations about self-esteem, healthy relationships, anti-bullying and more to schools, service clubs, community groups, agencies and faith communities.
- Early Intervention – This program provides families in shelter with supportive counselling, support and tools to establish healthy relationships for children and their parents who have witnessed and/or experienced family abuse. Personal safety plans are completed and information is available on topics such as parenting, self-esteem and expressing emotions.
- Community Groups – WCS is please to offer two groups at various times through the year to the community. Beyond the Plate is an 8 week family cooking group and Finding Our Voices is a 6 week peer support group. Click on each of the links to learn more about these much loved groups.